BibleCHURCHES
OF

MANSFIELD WOODHOUSE

The "woodland hamlet near Mansfield" is described by the Dictionary of English Place names as 'Old Wudu hus+' (as do some current day residents!) or as early as 1230 was known as 'Wodehuse' and by 1280 it had transcended to 'Mamesfeud Wodehus'.  The hamlet has grown to become Mansfield Woodhouse with a population of  over 25,000 and located one a half miles north of Mansfield. 

Though remains of a Roman-British settlement have been found here, the town is of more recent origin, dating to around 1100 when it was a settlement of small holders perhaps moved from land in Sherwood, which was wanted by the king for hunting. Remains of a Roman Villa have also been found here.  In the immediate neighbourhood are numerous stone quarries providing employment for local people. As with Mansfield a cottage industry in textile production developed until large  mechanised mills took over in the 1700's leading to a larger population and overcrowding.  In 1875 a station was built on the Mansfield - Worksop line, and in the early 19th Century a local colliery was sunk nearby (now closed).  Mansfield Woodhouse welcomed transportations with the opening of its own station on the Robin Hood Line in 1996.  

Mansfield Woodhouse High StreetA Church

But what of the religious aspirations of the residents of Mansfield Woodhouse.  


Churches in Mansfield Woodhouse

There are several churches in Mansfield Woodhouse:-

St. Edmund's Church of England

Trinity Methodist Church

Church of the Brothers & Sisters in Christ 

Details are given below:-


St. Edmund's Parish ChurchSt. Edmunds Parish Church

The church was quite a substantial building built on the present site of St. Edmund's as a chapelry of Mansfield.  King William II gave Mansfield its chapelries to Robert, Bishop of Lincoln, between 1093 and 1000.  The Dean of Lincoln became Rector of Mansfield in 1240 and he and his successors appointed the Vicars at Mansfield and the Curate to the Chapelries.  Records show that in 1250 Walter Clerk of La Wudehus Photograph taken July 1998 by Heather Faulkes was Curate here and was Roger, Chaplain in 1299.  In 1304 a tragedy occurred when the church burnt down.


The current arrangements for worship are below:-

For more information you can e-mail parishofmansfieldwoodhouse@ntlworld.com

 

Church of the Brothers and Sisters in Christ

Park Road,

Mansfield Woodhouse

Tel 01623 405078 or e-mail: t.oconnor@ntlworld.com

 

Click here for details on the Trinity Methodist Church in Mansfield Woodhouse